market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tracking soil temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Reid <chriscreid AT yahoo.com>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Marcy Nameth <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tracking soil temps
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:26:57 -0700 (PDT)

Marcy,

Responding to your comment:  "My thermometer has a 5” probe and I put it all the way in.  I’m sure depth makes a difference too and I may have been too deep.   Does anyone else know?"

Earlier this year, I asked someone in the UCONN soil lab -- she said use first thing in the morning (sounds like 9 am!) and probe to the depth where the seed will be planted.  The thermometer can move slowly, so make sure you leave it in at least 30 seconds (this may vary with type of thermometer).

 I used 1" depth for my readings.  I also noticed what you did about the soil temp swing during the day.  Did you wait till you saw a consistent warmth at the desired temp, or plant once you got a reading at the right level?

thanks,

Chris Reid
Stamford, Ct