market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Northeast Hightunnel growers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Northeast Hightunnel growers
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:44:51 -0400

Hi Jay; I don't have high tunnels, but I have a greenhouse planted with melons and cucumbers. They are loving this weather. They must be getting enough sun because the cucumber have been producing heavily for several weeks.

The winter squash, planted outside, on the other hand, are just creeping along unhappily. The Baby Hubbards are the only ones that have set fruit so far.The corn isn't growing. But I'm still picking peas, and the lettuce is still good. We hit 80 degrees for a day or two, then back in the 70's (I see highs in the 60's for the weekend forecast).  A neighboring town had a low of 39 degrees Wednesday morning. Sheesh.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA