market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicks to chickens / feed question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicks to chickens / feed question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:02:56 -0700

When I raised layers I feed starter for the first 4 weeks then went directly to laying mash. Remember poultry feeding is a science that only works in a controlled environment like a factory farm. If your raising birds in free range all feeding science goes down the drain. I would go directly to layer mash and separate the broilers and put them on broiler feed asap. It would be better to keep broilers confined so they put that expensive feed into meat and not burn it up digging on pasture... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm.
Bridgeton, NJ.