market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fall Crop germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fall Crop germination
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:37:11 -0400

Starting direct-sown seeds for fall crops can be a pain in summer.  Hard to keep the soil cool and moist enough for some of these to germinate.  Tricks we have learned from others:
---Look at the long term forecast for cooler or overcast days, following a rain (or irrigation).  Sow seed at the beginning of these.
---Chard, beets and spinach can be sown, watered, then covered with a board.  Check daily for first sprouts, then remove board.
---A light mulch of pine straw or shredded leaves on the bed or at least along the row helps both germination and early survival.
---Drip irrigation lines, directly over the row, can keep the soil moist and shaded during July and August heat.  Once soil is wet, we make sure it doesn't dry out below the tape.  Depending on water delivery, a few minutes per day may be all needed.  This is how we germinate fall and winter carrots and beets, and let them grow up on both sides of the tape.

Finding the time to baby seeds can be tough now, but carrying fall crops into the winter is a blessing.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
Out to sow last planting of pinkeye peas.  One carefree crop!