market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] not precisely GMO'S: different areas/types of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] not precisely GMO'S: different areas/types of farming
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:35:33 -0400

On Jun 10, 2009, at 9:10 AM, SaladG AT aol.com wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>No Kurt is not impossible to farm without chemicals, we do, however less than 20' from our gardens is farmed by a Corp that farms 25,000 acres and they plant, spray, and combine and what weeds escape the roundup spray get's to be my problem.  I would have to move I don't know where to get away from this type of government subside farming, maybe out of the country to get away from it.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Phil from Iowa</x-tad-smaller>

Certainly not out of the country. Possibly to some area in which the presence of hills, lakes, rivers, etc. preclude the huge fields attractive to the sort of operation that farms 25,000 acres.

Even some of those operations are now trying to get into the organic market; and, though they may not be what most of us think of as sustainable farming, would presumably at least not be using roundup; but maybe this isn't happening in Iowa yet.

You may, of course, have lots of reasons for not wanting to pack up and move.