market-farming - [Market-farming] GMO'S

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] GMO'S
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:40:36 -0400

I am glad we do not farm anywhere near each other…my crops and honeybee’s would be contaminated with your GMO pollen.  That would not be good for my land…my business or our bee’s!  GMO’s are what are going to wreck the environment and natural farming all together if not eradicated!

Nothing against you personally, just your choice of farming

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh

I will argue that some GMO crops DO have their place.  I have 160 acres of bottom lands that I know till.  Every year the weed base is replenished.  A GMO corn or soybean does allow me to make use of this land. I could cultivate the weeds or try to choke it with a cover crop.  All of it has been tried.  We do a single herbicide spray to kill competing plants and that is it.  No pesticides and no other fertilizers.

In other areas we do not use the same seed and do Non-GMO.

I would, literally, be impossible for us to farm this land without GMO seed types.

We use a fraction of the fuel that most large scale organic production uses too farm the same number of acres and do not irrigate at all.  Both of which are a massive drain on resources, are polluters, and wreck the environment.  Which is the lesser of two evils?  I do not have the answer to that.

Richard Stewart

Carriage House Farm

North Bend, Ohio