market-farming - [Market-farming] Mulch hay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mulch hay
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:07:21 -0500

I read the recent posts about mulch hay. My experience: We used a number of 4x5 round bales of grassy mulch hay in the past several years. It was inexpensive but I regret it. Some of the hay was extremely moldy and dusty and caused a lot of respiratory distress in the people spreading the mulch. I had sneezing, watery eyes and headaches just picking crops next to the mulch months later. Good clean straw and or dry grassy hay is much more fun to work with and much healthier to be around.

Chris

  • [Market-farming] Mulch hay, Two Onion Farm, 06/09/2009