market-farming - [Market-farming] Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mulch
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 22:46:35 EDT

Over the years I have found it a lot cheaper to collect all of my own mulch from my own farm. We have baled our road ditches, grass water ways, bale rye grass before it starts to head out.  We use about 500 square bales a year around here just for mulch.  We collect the old Sunday papers from the news stands because they are just going to throw them away, makes great mulch.  We have collected old cardboard boxes and used them.  Right now we have a cutting of hay that will have to be used for compost because it has had around 15 inches of rain on it, but nothing is really lost because it will be put in the compost pile for fall spreading.  About the only thing that is bought for our gardens is seed and potting soil for the greenhouses to keep things coming all summer long and most of the winter.

On the Doc channel there is and interesting program called Life Running Out of Control.  Has a lot to say about our future and seed supplies and GMO  tech.

Phil from Iowa

  • [Market-farming] Mulch, SaladG, 06/09/2009