market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What price for mulch Hay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What price for mulch Hay
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:24:22 -0700

4 bucks a bale for mulch hay? What are they...big square bales?!?! I wish I
could get that for my good quality hay as small square bales. I just sold a
tractor-trailer load of 2nd and 3rd cut, small squares for $100/ton. That's
like $2 for a 40 pounder and that's certified organic, but hay at our local
auction was bringing far less than that this winter. I am not sure what
mulch is bringing around here right now, but given what the good hay market
was, I'd say perhaps $20-30/T for mulch. Hmmm...what can a tomato potato
budget afford to pay for mulch? Good question! Consider the
alternatives...paying for weeding or cultivating crops with a
cultivator...what value in organic matter/moisture conservation/weed control
does the mulch add? Sorry, no answers; just things to ponder.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522