market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] toobar for Allis G

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] toobar for Allis G
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 11:31:13 -0400

Hey John,
I followed your link and saw the blue Spyders; I forgot mine were once blue.

You're going to love the Bezzerides. Depending on the soil type you have,
you may end up doing away with the spyders for the row crops. I use them for
maintaining wheel paths, hilling potatoes and leeks and not much else. But,
I can do this because my soil fractures easily and the spyders work best
with some room around them and tend to grab crops if they are too close. I
now grow all my crops on one or two rows per bed so I can watch the row and
set the torsion and spring hoe weeders very tight. I have only a one row set
up on my Belly mount [Kubota 245H] so its one row up and the other row on
the way back. Some think this is slow but I am flying [6th gear ie +/- 5MPH]
or about 1.5 A /HR] because I do not take my eyes off the row I am weeding.
Can I offer some advice? Make your first pass as soon as the crop is big
enough even if you don't have thread weeds yet. This way you will set up a
'dust mulch' that the crop roots will not grow into. For the rest of the
season you will be working this loose 'dirt'. If you wait you will be root
pruning.
Have fun.
Dave

Dave Inglis