market-farming - [Market-farming] mint compost, potting up tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rachel Evans <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] mint compost, potting up tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:02:50 -0700

I was wondering if any of you have tried using mint compost--compost made entirely of wastes from mint plants. I thought it was a great thing when I discovered it, but now I'm regretting my decision.

We used it this year on our fields instead of chicken manure compost (sourcing compost here in eastern Washington is not easy--even the chicken manure compost they truck over from the west side).

The mint compost is nice and black and is supposed to rate out at about 2% nitrogen. We used it last year on the fields too and I was generally happy with the results.

This year, however, we also used it in the soilless mix we make to pot up tomatoes--one part mint compost to two parts plug mix. In the past, we used one part worm castings to two parts plug mix. And in fact, in the first succession of tomato potting up I did use the worm castings instead of the mint. Those tomatoes did great. The ones with the mint--no. They look horrible and are dying in their pots. Just wilting and not growing. My sense is that there's fundamentally unworkable about the texture of the mint compost--it's particle size is extremely small, it's not "fluffy" like worm castings, and it doesn't seem to hold water well. Or is there any possibility it could be nitrogen burn? I can't think of any reason that the tomatoes in the mint are doing so much worse than those in the worm castings. Maybe remains of the essential oil are poisoning the plants?? Is that going to happen in my fields too, if I keep adding mint compost???

Rachel

--
Rachel Evans
The Sunshine Farm