market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] anyone grow Yellow Canary tomatoes??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] anyone grow Yellow Canary tomatoes??
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:22:50 -0400

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:48:33 -0400, you wrote:

>I started some of these not knowing what they were. The packet given to me
>said "Yellow Can-" with the rest of the label torn off. When they began
>growing out it was evident these were dwarf tomatoes with very distinctive
>dark foliage. A customer to the greenhouse today identified them as Yellow
>Canary. TGS says it can be grown in a hanging basket or a 7 inch pot. I'm
>thinking of potting them up into hanging baskets to sell for Mother's Day.
>Will the plant grow large enough to "fill" the pot, tumble over the side, or
>should I plant something else to hide the edge?? And what do you charge for
>your hanging basket tomatoes??

I've grown them - several times, at least 4 or 5 years.

It's difficult to get the seeds now, by the way, and they are a hybrid
although someone at Seed Saver's Exchange used to offer a de-hybridized
version - possibly they still do.

In my experience, they will grow large enough to fill that pot, easily.
They weren't much of a tumbler, however, when I grew them, more upright.
Hmmm...you'd want something really small if you want to hide the edge.

I'm not sure you need to hide the edge at all; like Red Robin, Yellow
Canary is an awfully cute little plant. EVERYONE likes these.

Especially Red Robin, which is a little more robust and vigorous than
Yellow Canary. (Red Robin is Open Pollinated, so much for hybrid vigor. I
suppose hybrids have an advantage in some plants - eggplants grown in a
cool location come to mind, and corn - but I honestly have never seen any
particular hybrid advantage in tomatoes.)

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.