market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Eggs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Eggs
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:22:41 -0400

I have to wonder if part of the reason we have trouble with Salmonella in this country is due to the fact that eggs are washed and acid dipped (which eliminates the protective waxy layer), then stored for extended periods before consumption, allowing bacteria to penetrate the shell. Any thoughts on that?

IT's my understanding that the salmonella is carried by the hens and is actually induced into the eggs before they are laid. This is a confinement chicken problem and not a problem of free range heirloom hens. Any thoughts on this? Thanks _Allan