market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Refrigeration at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Refrigeration at market
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

> a fellow who bought a van with a fridge unit and has the
> stall next to us will let us keep our eggs in his cooler, which does
> qualify.
>
> However, this means that he must idle his van for the entire 4 hour
> market! (How's that for 'health'?) (The van's motor powers the cooler
> and the health department has told him that if a product is to be
> sold at market that has to be cooled, the cooler must be 'on' for the
> entire market.)
>
> I concur that small farmers are being squeezed with 'one size fits
> all ' healt laws and rules for the benefits of the corporate food
> interests. Many farmers I know are dropping out of the farmers
> markets rather than pay more than they can afford.
>
> -Allan in WV
> Allan...we've been dealing with this issue at market for a few years.
We had folk show up with generators....same issue....who wants to be set
up next to a smokey noisy generator running all day? Several of us who
are off-grid helped work out systems for the egg, cheese and meat folk.
Small camper refrigerators are available cheap and used. They are
required to not put out lots of heat so as to be safe in a trailer, as a
result are very efficient. I have a few that I use at home for produce.
Our market folk are powering them with an inverter connected to the
battery of their vehicle. Inverters convert the DC power of batteries
to AC power of most appliances. Thanks to laptop batteries that folk
want to charge in their cars, most auto parts stores are carrying cheap
inverters. Be sure to match the power to your fridge.
Quiet and efficient---we now power amplifiers for our Market Music folk
this same way. Good luck Sora