market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse nighttime temperature

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: shopkins <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouse nighttime temperature
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 09:23:26 -0500

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:51:48 -0500, you wrote:

>The book says never let tomatoes go below 60F, but there have been lots of
>nights here when we were darn happy to keep 40 and the end result was okay.

I doubt if there has EVER been a month where we live (Pennsylvania's
surprisingly cold northern mountains) where the temperature has always
stayed over 60. There certainly hasn't been one since we've lived here
(eight years now). Not even close!

We very often have July and August nights in the 40s, not uncommonly in the
low 40s, very occasionally in the 30s. Within the past 25 years, there
have been actual frosts here in both July and August.

Yet we grow tomatoes.... in my case, some tomatoes are in the (totally
unheated) hoophouse but others are outdoors (not enough room inside).
Exactly the same is true of peppers and eggplants.

With regard to seedlings, they are in our house or on the adjoining deck
during the day; and indoors at night. We put the thermostat at 60 during
the day, and 50 at night. The seedlings probably experience considerably
colder temperatures than that, however, as many are in a large bay window
that sticks out from the rest of the house. (I use heat mats until the
seeds germinate, but not thereafter.)

I'm sure that tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants would all *prefer* warmer
temperatures but they grow and thrive nevertheless.

Pat

-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.