market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA share sizes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA share sizes?
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 21:28:50 -0500

I purchased Brookfield Farm http://brookfieldfarm.org/cps.html Excel
spreadsheets. It has seed per row foot from their experience and various
other sources, expected yield per row foot, and includes what they do. It
figures out how much space each crop takes. You can change the number of
shares and see how that impacts land use.

Also, Sharing the Harvest has some sample shares. Share size is a real
challenge for me - trying to give the folks good value but also make a
living.

Interesting - I broke my shares into summer and fall, primarily to keep the
summer share under $400 because I thought higher cost would scare folks off.
Two-thirds of those who have signed up so far have gone for the whole $600
package. ($25/week)

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Peru NY

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe