market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat Seeds
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:13:31 -0500

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:07:34 -0600, you wrote:

>There are, of course, both hard and soft white wheats as well - which
>are much nicer for making whole grain products. Some of the white wheat
>comes from Kansas, but what I buy for bread comes from Montana.

It's a matter of personal preference, I think. (We grind our wheat into
flour, and make bread.)

I tried the white wheats, and returned to hard red wheat because I prefer
the stronger flavor.

(Since then, I've developed an intolerance for gluten and cannot have any
wheat. I'm learning to make very nice baked goods from various mixtures of
buckwheat, millet, corn, sorghum, and brown rice flours. But not yet
yeast-raised bread.... I don't think any gluten-free yeast bread will be
really, truly satisfactory. But I can make delicious whole-grain muffins
and quick breads, so I can live on them.)

Pat
--
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide
what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall