market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] SEED Company reliability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] SEED Company reliability
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:00:33 -0500

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 08:09:28 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Can a spaghetti squash and a Connecticut field pumpkin planted by seed on
>the same day in the next row, cross pollinate and get a hybrid "Spaghetti
>Pumpkin"? I always thought no, the cross wouldn't express itself until next
>year when the seeds where saved and planted. A friend of mine says yes, but
>only with pumpkins and squash.

You are correct. The cross wouldn't express itself until the next year.

BTW, 'Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties' by Carol Deppe is a fascinating
book. See: http://tinyurl.com/8lbukm

There's some math in it that is over my head, but that part can just be
skipped without harm. The rest is really fascinating.

Amazingly, I saw a copy of this book (the older edition) on a 'remaindered'
table in a gift shop, of all places, for $1.00. :) I grabbed it.

Pat
--
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide
what kind of difference you want to make. - Jane Goodall