market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] SEED Company reliability

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] SEED Company reliability
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:42:38 -0500

On Jan 1, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Marie Kamphefner wrote:

Regards to the list:

I like Fedco.

So do I.

I send in complicated orders to a batch of different companies; just about everybody makes an occasional error. I just did a fast check of my last few years of records, and found only one error on a Fedco order since 2002. That error was minor, and was promptly corrected when I notified them. -- I also really appreciate the extra information they give about the seed; both honest catalogue descriptions, and the information about source. -- They are the only company I know of that has noticed that seed for sale listed as the same variety but as organic and conventional strains may perform differently in the field; and they describe the differences.

People interested in cheap prices might also look into E&R.
E&R Seed
1356 E 200 S
Monroe, IN 46772
<eandrseed AT yahoo.com>
They have no phone (I think they're Amish), but answering service takes orders at 866-510-3337, and there's a voice mail service for product information only, 260-692-6827.

E&R doesn't give the depth of information Fedco does, and their catalogue descriptions aren't always complete (including that it can be hard to tell what climate varieties are best suited for); but they've got the best prices I've seen for organic seed, which they do carry some of. (They carry mostly conventional seed, some of which is treated; but the catalogue clearly states what is organic, what is conventional, and what is treated or untreated; color-coding the listings.)

Due to their (differently) odd ordering processes, neither Fedco nor E&R is the company you want to order from if you're in a tearing hurry; but shipping times are reasonable for both if you plan ahead.

People trying to avoid buying from Seminis/Monsanto should bear in mind that most catalogues don't list sources of the seed, and many of them are carrying Seminis seed without mentioning it one way or the other. An honest company will tell you if you ask; but it's a nuisance trying to get the information.

Oh -- I think I'll sneak in a plug here for Fisher's of Montana. This is a tiny little seed company. They have stuff nobody else has, often because they've bred it themselves. They're basically aimed at the home gardener, and don't have huge quantities, but some is available in amounts large enough for many market farmers. They're not certified organic, but grow in conditions close to that. So if you need varieties that will perform in short seasons, look into Fisher's.
Fisher's Seeds
PO Box 236
Belgrade, MT 59714
406-388-6052
Phone number is for information and catalogues only; last I looked they didn't take credit cards, so can't take phone orders. However, you don't get voicemail or a phone menu; Judy Fisher answers the phone, directly. New catalogue doesn't usually come out till early February. Shipping may be slow, but service otherwise is great.