market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market manager job description? market rules?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market manager job description? market rules?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:10:31 -0800 (PST)

> Can anybody help me with samples of such things, ideally from a market
> of similar size? This will be a small market (my guess is 6 to 10
> vendors, to start with) in a small village (population is a couple of
> thousand, but there's a good deal of traffic coming through town from
> other places). We will definitely be local - only, and expect to invite
> as vendors local bakers and craftspeople as well as farmers.
>
> Thanks --
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly

Hey Rivka...good luck with your new market...
Our market started 1980 and remained small, 3-7 vendors until about 8
years ago...currently we have 71 vendor members and an average day will
set up about 30-35 vendors. We are producer only with several bakers and
craftfolk...Our town is about 2000 with a county total of 10,000. Our
nearest large city is an hour and a half away and we are on a major
highway route up into Canada. As is common, when the market was tiny, the
management was handled by volunteer vendors. With the huge expansion we
have found the need to hire a manager and install a board of directors.
Take a look at our website that has our current rules and regs etc.
bonnersferryfarmersmarket.org
Sora , Farmers Market Chair