market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market manager job description? market rules?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market manager job description? market rules?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:47:32 -0600

You are welcome to look at our market rules, etc. at www.skyfarmersmarket.com/joining.html

We started with some other market's rules and modified for our situation - no reason to totally re-invent the wheel!  At the time, there was no help at the state level, although that has improved in 5 years, so it took a lot of time.

And, for market manager information, take a look at http://www.farmersmarketcoalition.org/resources/resource-library/  for resources on almost any segment of farmers markets that you can think of.

We spent about 5-6 months organizing our producer only market in winter 2003/2004, but we just came through our 5th season with almost 50 members, and are feeling like it was really worth the effort.  Until now, directors have functioned as volunteer managers, but our main project this winter is to look at what a manager will cost, how we need to adjust membership/stall fees to afford one, and what we expect a manager to do.

Have fun!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm