market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bitter chard/sunfloweres

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kim Martin <ki_martin AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bitter chard/sunfloweres
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:01:52 -0500

At 12:21 PM 8/15/2008, you wrote:

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:53:41 -0400
From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
Subject: [Market-farming] sunflower varieties
To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>

I notice on Kim's web page (http://www.barkingcatfarm.com) what look like short, single-head sunflowers growing up through net supports. Kim, can you tell me what variety those are, and how long the stems are? Is the netting to keep them from falling over? I sell some sunflowers and gladioluses, and would like to get more serious about choosing winning varieties. Stem length seems to be a major difference among them--my initial successes have come with very tall plants, with multiple 24-30" floral stems. Any other varietal suggestions out there?

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/

First, regards to the list! I have enjoyed following the discussions for a few years. And thank you to Kim Travis - I'll be pulling out the bitter chard.

Richard, the sunflowers on our home page are a variety called Pro-cut Bi-Color from the Pro-Cut series. Depending on how well you fertilize them and how closely you space them, they can reach 4'+ easily (12" spacing). And yes, the netting is to keep them from falling over. It's Hortonova 6"x6". Our area is especially windy so netting is required for sunflowers, snapdragons, some celosias - basically anything that would lodge. Other sunflower varieties commonly grown for cuts are the Sunrich series and Sun series. To get shorter stems, we just space them closer to together instead of planting a shorter type. All the series I mention above are singles (but they will grow sideshoots) and pollenless.

Kim

Kim Martin
Barking Cat Farm
www.barkingcatfarm.com
barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] bitter chard/sunfloweres, Kim Martin, 08/15/2008