market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hot weather crop suggestion/chard bitter question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hot weather crop suggestion/chard bitter question
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:47:41 -0500

Greetings,
I have found that once my chard went bitter, it never went back. While the plant will stay alive forever, it is not edible past the first 6-8 months, at least this is my experience. I am also in Texas, south of you, closer to the gulf.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

Kim Martin wrote:
We've got chard growing now but it's extremely bitter due to the hot
weather. Anyone know for sure if it really outgrows the bitterness when it cools off or should I pull it and re-seed?