market-farming - [Market-farming] Hot weather crop suggestion/chard bitter question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kim Martin <ki_martin AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hot weather crop suggestion/chard bitter question
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:09:03 -0500

At 12:21 PM 7/26/2008, you wrote:
Message: 1
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:13:28 GMT
From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & sympathy
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

all of my cantaloupes have sunburned. We didn't do watermelons this year since the coyotes do more damage than its worth. We do southern peas too, and the squash/zucchini/cucumbers. Just wishing there was something to add to the mix.
Carla
Perkins,OK

Hi Carla,

This is kinda belated, but maybe it can still help you. We're in NE Texas near Dallas and are experiencing the same scorching hot temperatures you are. If you haven't tried vegetable amaranth as a crop for hot weather you might consider it. It's considered a hot weather spinach replacement. Small leaves work in a salad mix, that is, if you can get lettuce to grow. In theory you can also grow it out for the edible seeds. We also have successfully grown Malabar spinach (requires a trellis) in summer too. Supposedly New Zealand spinach will work well in the heat, but we had poor germination results and moved on to another crop.

We've got chard growing now but it's extremely bitter due to the hot weather. Anyone know for sure if it really outgrows the bitterness when it cools off or should I pull it and re-seed?

Kim Martin
Barking Cat Farm
www.barkingcatfarm.com
barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com