market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry and Raspberry Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry and Raspberry Questions
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:33:00 -0400

Richard,

I'm attending the field night at South Centers tomorrow night, and I'm going to ask for more information then. To answer your question, yes, they're heading back the primocanes. I'm tempted to send this entire thread to the folks there to get some clarification, but I figure I'll talk to them first to get more clarification on methods. They're also working with primocane-bearing varieties, both released and those under development.

For anyone in the area, the field nights are a good source of research information with a tour of plots and a delicious dinner. I'd be happy to forward  an email regarding this if you're interested.

Kind regards,
Bill Huhman

http://picasaweb.google.com/billohio

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org> wrote:
 On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:49:30 -0400, BillOhio wrote:
> We recently attended the brambles field night at the Piketon, Ohio OSU South
> Centers research station, which was highly interesting. They no longer
> recommend trelling brambles -- formerly they used high-tensile wire and clips
> with, I think, a 6-foot plant spacing. Instead, they are recommending heading
> back the canes at about 2 feet tall to break apical dominance, thereby
> inducing development of laterals, which are in turn clipped at 18-22 inches.
> Plant spacing is 2 feet in the row for thorny and 1 foot for thornless, due
> to the more aggressive spreading of the thorny varieties.

Bill, for this method, is the heading back done on primocanes? (I am guessing it must be.) Do you know of anything on the web that discusses this more? I didn't see anything at the South Centers web site.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/