market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:57:08 -0400

Thank you for the onion advice. My Ailsa Craig’s and Walla Walla’s got good attention and am harvesting now. It is the fall storage onions that got neglected. I like the idea of cutting the weeds low, and sent a helper to do that today. The soil was so wet that the grasses pulled the grasses up easily, so that experiment didn’t happen. We got rained out before finishing the leeks, but things are looking up. I was so proud earlier of how good the weed control was, until the rains came. I will remember your advices for next year though. We also have finally put an Allis G together (supposed restored, but we had to replace a broken rear axle, brake shoes, and other little items – they meant painted, not restored), except for the electric motor, so by next year should be more on top of things.

Oh, and it is getting dark earlier and this will be the second time in a week I will get to bed around 10. Well, actually supper (roasted veggies) is in the oven, but I think I’ll skip them and have them for breakfast. Sleep is good!

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead

Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe