market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:22:42 -0400

On Jul 20, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

It has turned rainy, and I have onions that have grassy weeds in them.
Having spent two days trying to hand pull weeds, I am thinking it would be
simpler to dig up the onions and transplant them to a clean area. Anyone
transplanted onions this large/late?

I haven't tried it, but my guess is that if you move them now the tops will go down and they will mature the bulb at whatever size it is now. This guess is based on having weeded onions too late and having had them respond in that fashion, I think because their roots had been disturbed too much when they were too close to maturity. Now the onions are at or near the top of the weeding list in May and June; after late June, I just cultivate between the rows as necessary and don't do any more weeding in the rows. If they were big enough and free of weeds in late June they seem to produce a decent crop despite some weed growth in the rows after that.

You could try moving some of them and let us know what happens . . .