market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transplanting weedy onions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:53:06 -0500

I had 1.5 acres of onions disappear in weeds ( bad-boy grasses and the usual forb villians) a few seasons back.  We waded through the rows with garden forks to harvest by faith because we didn't believe the onions could be there.  No bragging rights on the harvest, but the onions were marketable.  (A red torpedo type for fresh use, not storage.)  We did have to plow half the field under with onions still waiting before the weeds went to seed.  Since then, the onions get heavily mulched on planting out day; few weeds now.

Earlier that same season I had interplanted left-over Alysa Craig and Candy onion seedlings in the cutting garden amongst the cosmos.  Then I forgot about that in the seasonal craziness, and the flowers closed in the beds.  Later, when we came up short on the CSA box one week, I went looking for them under now 4 foot tall cosmos bushes.  We harvested 12-16 ounce cover-of-the-seed-catalogue-perfect onions. (Not really recommending that particular interplanting scheme but it did work once.)

Good luck and do finish the story when you get a chance.  Shawnee, zone 5