market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pruning garlic scapes, now purslane / wild greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pruning garlic scapes, now purslane / wild greens
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:33:52 -0400

On Jun 30, 2008, at 6:48 AM, breck wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>I have always thought about selling some purslane, but never have. Would you mind sharing some info on how you sell and price it?</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Big thanks,</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger>Breck</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>

Don't really know what the standard is, if there is a standard for the wild greens.

What I do is pull the stuff; trim the roots off, which is timeconsuming with young purslane and fairly fast when it's a bit older; wash it; bring it to market in a box and sell it by the bag. -- Don't bring it if it's old enough to have flower buds, the flavor isn't good when it's that old.

This is a market not accustomed to people selling the weeds (you need to be prepared for the occasional customer to snarl at you for it, though it helps if they're interrupted by another customer exclaiming with delight "Oh great, you brought purslane!", which also happens) and I started off pricing it fairly cheap, and have been working the price up gradually. I'm now up to $2.00 a bag, which is the same as last year, except this year the bags aren't as full (gallon size bags, loose packed.) That's probably about $4 to $6 per pound, though I don't generally weigh the bags. I have to pull it anyway, so basically I'm charging for bringing it up from the field, sorting it out from other weeds present, trimming it, washing it, hauling it, bagging it: which does take a while.

What do others do with purslane? lambsquarters? etc. ?