market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Leaf-footed bugs and a request

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Leaf-footed bugs and a request
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:44:07 -0500

Steve, Allan, and Alison...
This is why I LOVE this list serve.  These observations are clever, and I will certainly follow up with my own.  I would rather take my chances with the various fungi problems from enthusiastic watering if that bugs the bug.

Now a request for observations/experience with the funky earwig.  I am hearing all sorts of nonsense from customers about earwig problems...I mainly notice the insect to be an opportunist and that apart from occasional damage to a few ornamental flowers, he gets implicated by his presence on the scene of destruction.  But  some customers are contracting exterminators, spraying bad chemicals, freaking out.  Anybody got any good science on what you see out there?

Shawnee, zone 5, and as of today, the Japanese beetles are 10 days late in appearing here..