market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] transporting fresh cut basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] transporting fresh cut basil
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:08:32 -0400

Here in the tropics, we raise 15-20 types of basil. On the day before market, we wash/cool basil by swishing it through clean cool water, gently shake it dry, then place it to "crisp" in a covered basin in a shady place until ready to bag. A few hours later it should be dry and hydrated and we bag into plastic bags that are then placed into our crates out of sun. At market next day, those kept in the shade last all day and then keep well for another week in the fridge. Those displayed on the table are good until the sun hits, then they start to sweat and we need to poke holes in the bags and keep shifting them to be under the umbrella's shade as the sun moves. They get a little wilty eventually and we replace display bags with fresh ones.

Best wishes to all,

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

courtney mcleod wrote:

I keep it a cooler with ice packs and then when I get to market I have a great and really cool enamel tub I keep it in with cold water in it. I also lay the basil on towels that are on top of the ice packs in the cooler.

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh