market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing experiences
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 08:22:01 -0500

Thanks, Alan, for the notes from Premier.

We have successfully kept deer out of a 1/2 acre market garden for 10 years (more or less) using 2 to 3 strands of electric tape from Premier Fencing. We think it works because it is about 3/4 inch wide, white, and visible to the deer. We think they are curious about it, get shocked when they investigate, and from then on avoid it. (My two dogs likewise try to avoid it.) The lower tape is about 2 feet from the ground, the higher one about 4 feet, and a third tape set a little inside or outside the others. Premier sells poly posts that are easy to set in the ground, so it is easy to move the fence.
Janet Bachmann
Northwest Arkansas