market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Black Plastic Mulch Overheating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Black Plastic Mulch Overheating
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 08:38:14 -0400

Allan

Not really. The IRT mulch I was referring to was left behind on a farm we left 3.5 year ago. We went back last week to raid the asparagus patch we also left behind and noticed that the IRT mulch we had put down for strawberries was still there (but no strawberry plants had survived). And with strawberries we do leave the mulch in place 3 to 5 years (how ever long the berry plants continue to produce). We no longer use IRT mulch having replaced that with woven black landscape fabric because it lasts a lot longer than thin plastic mulch and will not be damaged by mowing/weed eaters.

For most crops we lay down the mulch 1 or 2 weeks before we plant and than in the fall when the crop is done we take up the mulch. Strawberries are the one exception to this because they are in the ground for several years.

We also use straw to mulch a lot of crops such as raspberries, blackberries and asparagus.

One reason we do not leave the mulch down forever is because voles love to make their homes under the mulch and get to be a very very bad problem. So much so that the strawberry mulch is partially lifted after it is down 12 months-we undig the edges so we and the dogs can get underneath to kill the little suckers, it also allows us to put down compost. After 12 months the berry plants are more than big enough to hold the mulch down.