market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Black Plastic Mulch Overheating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Black Plastic Mulch Overheating
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:49:05 -0500

In zone 5, I have covered black mulch...and surface drip tape also...with a thin layer of light colored straw/grass mulch to control the fluctuation of soil temperatures.  I always carry a soil thermometer to verify my observations/intuitions/paranoias. Strewing the mulch is an extra labor step...but it does get mighty hot under that black plastic.   Shawnee, zone 5 and crazed by photosynthesis at the moment.