market-farming - [Market-farming] New to the list; Black Plastic Mulch Overheating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dean Brock" <deanbrock2 AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New to the list; Black Plastic Mulch Overheating
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:57:01 -0400

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the list, and market farming. I'm currently working new
soil in East TN, just north of Knoxville. This is my first attempt at
commercial growing, so this years been a huge learning experience for
me so far, hopefully this list can reduce the number of hard learned
lessons in the future. So far I'm growing organic. If/when pest
become a problem I'm hoping a chicken tractor will be sufficient.

My goal this year is just to get a feel for market gardening and break
even on expenses. I've been taking alot of pictures, and I intend on
using these in a blog.

I have just a few questions to start.

Is there an way to search the entire list serv archives without
searching month by month?

And, also, does anybody in zone 6b have experience using black plastic
mulch with tomatoes? I would like to try this but I'm concerned about
overheating the soil. If started early enough would the shade from
grown plants be enough by mid summer to keep this from being a
problem?

Thanks very much,
Dean Brock