market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onion trimming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onion trimming
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:36:47 -0500 (CDT)

Jason, I trim onion flats a few times during growth to help them grow
upright and the day before planting out.

I usually trim to about 3.5-4".

sean

> Maybe this has been asked, I hope not. Can transplant onions that are
still in flats, but have been grown to 8-10 inches be trimmed back, or do
they need to be constantly trimmed to a particular height as once they
reach that height? Johnny's suggests a height of 5 inches is ok, although
I do not want to damage them since they look good now. The reason I am
looking to trim is to prevent further damage to the leaves during their
hardening off process (in and out of the greenhouse).