market-farming - [Market-farming] Wic eligible foods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Home Grown Kansas! <hgkansas AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wic eligible foods
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

In looking at what WIC foods would be available from the farmers market I found this list of eligible foods on the USDA WIC website:  "WIC foods include juice, iron-fortified cereal, eggs, cheese, milk, peanut butter, dried beans or peas, iron-fortified infant formula, tuna, and carrots."  Are those of you accepting WIC coupons able to sell produce other than the dried beans/peas and carrots?   Pat

Heirloom Grower <heirloomgrower AT gmail.com> wrote:
Carla,

From my perspective at our food pantry, storage at the facility is an issue with perishable items.

I expect that processing is probably an issue with shelters. It does take more time to prepare fresh vegetables. When you are speaking of serving meals to hundreds of homeless, the prep time may prove prohibitive. It's hard to get volunteers to do these things sometimes. I would suggest drafting the folks who will be eating the food to help, but there again, state regulation may prohibit the involvement of anyone in food prep who has not been tested and cleared of communicable diseases. Since a lot of these folks are transient, it is unlikely that they would be reliably involved once testing is done. And this is an expensive process.

Elise