market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:00:12 GMT

I don't want to see anyone go hungry, or have to eat junk because that is all
they can afford. We have tried for many years to give away our seconds, or
what we have left at the end of market. We've called the shelters, churches,
anyone we could think of. The only thing we ask is that they come to the
market and pick up what is left at the end of the day. All of the vendors
were more than happy to contribute.But, these groups will come to market once
or twice and seem very grateful for the free food, and then they don't come
back. Why?
We've come to the conclusion that because fresh food has to be prepped in
some way, even if it's just rinsing, and the volunteers at the shelters don't
want to mess with it. It's easier to open a can I guess.
It doesn't make sense to me. The homeless shelters here are constantly asking
the community for more money to keep the shelters open, yet when they could
have all the fresh produce they could use, they won't show up.
Carla
Oklahoma
Faster loans with less paperwork. Compare rates. Click to find the right loan.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3m3uYlrq2i9vD2Gx76duJ9AOotfrR708cZ6Ho09CVWjftvPG/