market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Greenhouse varieties for Indiana?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Greenhouse varieties for Indiana?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:45:07 -0500

magenta, green oak on lettuce. in the passed we've had mild enough
winters to get by with a late planting. . . this year wasn't the case.
i think we're going to switch to a primary hoop season of nov-dec and
maybe get some time off in jan. but i don't think the quality is there
if you're over wintering a nov-late oct planting. everything gets pithy
and snails take their toll.

i did bok choy in low tunnels last year. if you're holding them until
spring they'll bolt. if they go through too much freeze-thaw (low
tunnels remember. . . much colder than a hoop) they'll get pithy, then
woody when spring starts again. i always like the white stem. bigger
size. . . and marsh is selling 4# bok choy for 3$/#. baby bok choy
always had some potential in the spreadsheet and went surprisingly well
at market. . . for indiana.

john
danville,in