market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Greenhouse varieties for Indiana?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <lists AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Greenhouse varieties for Indiana?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:45:48 -0500

I answered once but the message was rejected for being too big. Don't forget to cut out all the extra so that messages are less than 20k.

I have a bale of straw in my greenhouse. The voles hide under the bale. I pick up the bale and stomp on the voles. It's not pleasant but they've done a lot of damage to my baby spinach and lettuce. I kill as many voles under that bale as I catch in snap traps. Last week I let one of the dogs in to catch them when I lifted the bale. He couldn't do any more damage with his big feet than they were doing to my greens. He was in and out in a minute with the first vole. I have three dogs that spend a lot of time listening for critters in tunnels in the snow then digging them up for a snack. They're a big help.

Eliot has bottomless wooden boxes. There's a mouse hole in one side. He sets unbaited snap traps under the box. The voles go in because it smells familiar after other voles having been there already. They'll bump into the snap trap while they're in there. He also does the "meadow vole stomp" and it's hilarious to watch him do it in a workshop.

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge, ME
www.seasonseatingsfarm.com