market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chili Roasters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chili Roasters
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:13:55 -0500

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:44:35 -0600, you wrote:

>I have seen people lined up to get roasted chiles.
>During Chile harvest in New Mexico The shopping malls
>Parking lots Have Chile roasters on trailers. People buy them by the bushel.
>Personally I think they smell great. Fresh tortilla and hot roasted chiles,
>little lime juice,Is good food. Bill

Yep, I know. I'd have a real problem if I tried to live in New Mexico! Or
Arizona too, probably. (I'll never live there anyway, so that's OK.)

It's not the smell, the smell is great - I'm not objecting to it as a
smell. It's the fact that I *cannot breathe* when I am exposed to it.

I know I'm not alone in this, because of pepper gas. It's made from
capsicums, hot peppers. It will stop people or even charging bears dead in
their tracks. (Although I wouldn't count on it in the case of bears.)
Roasting hot peppers gives off the same molecules; just fewer of them at a
time. The effect will vary depending on each person's sensitivity to it.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh