market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chili Roasters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chili Roasters
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:26:03 -0500

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:59:48 -0500, you wrote:

>I loved the roasted chiles out west.....but few customers would buy them
>in our part of Kentucky!
>Can you see any reason why one couldn't have a smaller roaster with the
>propane turkey fryer as base - using a peanut or coffee roasting drum
>instead? I think doing 1-5 lb. batches as needed or wanted would still
>bring people in with that lovely scent. I hope to be nearer a tourist
>area, where more people would enjoy roasted peppers of all kinds, while
>my local neighbors would not. The drum roasters are made of steel, and
>come in various sizes for 50.-150. each. Might be a great attractor!
>What different kind of permit would one need in regard to food safety or
>cold storage until sold?

It would certainly chase me away quickly, so that's at least one customer
you'd lose; my husband cannot cook with hot peppers (must remove them from
pizzas, etc.) as they *immediately* bring on an asthma attack for me
(except in summer, when I can go outdoors and sit on the deck while he
cooks whatever it is).

People might want to consider this possibility before doing it in a public
place. It's similar to pepper gas, really, the stuff that theoretically
will stop a charging grizzly (although I sure wouldn't want to count on
that).

This is not just me; I know there are others who it affects in the same
manner from an 'accidental' pepper gas release near a dining hall at the
university where I used to work - quite a few people were hospitalized. I
was bright enough to abandon my lunch and immediately leave, so I was OK.
But others weren't as quick to catch on and some of them wound up in the
hospital.

Maybe you'd lose as many customers as you'd attract. Just a thought...

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh