market-farming - [Market-farming] Potting mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Potting mix
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:18:04 -0500

I've been using Vermont Compost Fort V potting soil for the past few years in the greenhouse for starting my plants. It has worked OK, but I have had some problems with crusting (I have very hard water), and some issues with maintaining consistent moisture levels in the compost, especially for plants like onions, celeriac, tomatoes and peppers which spend more than 3-4 weeks in the greenhouse. I use approximately 1 pallet a year of potting soil and am looking for some alternatives which are approved for use in a certified organic operation, are reasonably cost effective and may perform better than the Fort V - especially for the longer duration seedlings. In my pre-oganic days, ProMix worked well for me.

I'm in Western NY and would like to use something which is produced reasonably close by to reduce freight expense. Any Suggestions?