market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potting mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potting mix
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:51:51 -0500

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Fellenz wrote:

I've been using Vermont Compost Fort V potting soil for the past few
years in the greenhouse for starting my plants. It has worked OK, but I
have had some problems with crusting (I have very hard water), and some
issues with maintaining consistent moisture levels in the compost,
especially for plants like onions, celeriac, tomatoes and peppers which
spend more than 3-4 weeks in the greenhouse. I use approximately 1
pallet a year of potting soil and am looking for some alternatives which
are approved for use in a certified organic operation, are reasonably
cost effective and may perform better than the Fort V - especially for
the longer duration seedlings. In my pre-oganic days, ProMix worked
well for me.

I'm in Western NY and would like to use something which is produced
reasonably close by to reduce freight expense. Any Suggestions?

I've been using McEnroe organic mixes; but this may not be much help, as they're produced in eastern NY, and are hard to come by elsewhere. I pick mine up at Countryside Produce in Interlaken; if that would be any help to you, I could send their address (they use no phone, no net, just mail.) For a quantity that size, you'd most likely need to get ahold of them soon, as I think they usually order in January.

McEnroe mixes would probably be more like the Vermont Compost mixes than like the non-organic Pro Mix. I like the compost-based mixes, but not everybody does. I think Pro Mix might have a mix acceptable for organic use; you could check with whoever used to supply your Pro Mix, and then double check with the certifier to make sure that anything they suggest is OK with that certifier.