market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood for raised bed info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood for raised bed info
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:57:49 -0500

Ok, for what it's worth, here's what I've learned about wood preservatives and pressure treated wood relating to beekeeping. Pressure treated wood changed formulations a few years ago. It used to be quite toxic, but now the industry uses a copper based compound. Copper is very non toxic to animals, but is very toxic to water plants. It shouldn't bother veggies at all. You can get FDA approved food grade wood treatments, meaning food can be in contact with it for extended periods with no problems, if you wish. One is copper quinolate, water based. I've found it at large beekeeping supply stores like Mann Lake. Another is copper napthenate, mix it alcohol. This you can found at Lowe's or Home Depot, used for treating wood that comes into contact with the soil. Another option is pressure treated wood using silica, as in glass. It makes the wood inorganic and is harmless to animal and plant life. It's only been available a couple of years, so you may have to hunt for it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b