market-farming - [Market-farming] How do you Determind Your Prices for the Farmers Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] How do you Determind Your Prices for the Farmers Market
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 05:56:11 -0400

Thought I'd ask this one again, but somewhat differently, since it may have been lost in weekend mails.

It's hard to imagine two replies to such a question on a market farming discussion list.

I'm asking this because we are a long time CSA that neither has farmers market sense nor has had time in the past 10 years to visit farmers markets. We are doing one local market, primarily to support the town. Of course, simply doing a Sunday market creates all sorts of expenses, so I want to do what I can to keep our prices as fair as possible for both the farm and the shoppers.

Ironically, we can't spare enough staff this never-ending-2007-season to comparatively shop at the market we do attend!

Thanks

-Allan

NEW FARM used to offer a version, but I see that it's gone now.

I've found some great WHOLESALE price pages on the web, but I'm
wondering if someone can point me to a farmers market prices report
or to a 'seasonal retail price guide' for produce.

Just happen to still have pole beans but have no idea of how to price
them in "Septemeber."

Thanks

-Allan Balliet
Shepherdstown, WV