market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How do you Determind Your Prices for the Farmers Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Diana Jancek <dijaan AT charter.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How do you Determind Your Prices for the Farmers Market
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:31:50 -0400

Allan
Here in Muskegon, MI at our Sweetwater Local Foods Market the first farmer to bring beans got $3.00 a pound. After that as more came in the price went to $2.50/$2.00 a pound. I would hazard a guess that you would be one of the few with beans this time of year, but don't know your area at all.
You might also try and post the question at the market garden forum at gardenweb. Lots of Q&A regarding pricing can be found there.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/market/
Diana Jancek

Allan Balliett wrote:
Thought I'd ask this one again, but somewhat differently, since it
may have been lost in weekend mails.

It's hard to imagine two replies to such a question on a market
farming discussion list.

I'm asking this because we are a long time CSA that neither has
farmers market sense nor has had time in the past 10 years to visit
farmers markets. We are doing one local market, primarily to support
the town. Of course, simply doing a Sunday market creates all sorts
of expenses, so I want to do what I can to keep our prices as fair as
possible for both the farm and the shoppers.

Ironically, we can't spare enough staff this never-ending-2007-season
to comparatively shop at the market we do attend!

Thanks

-Allan

NEW FARM used to offer a version, but I see that it's gone now.

I've found some great WHOLESALE price pages on the web, but I'm
wondering if someone can point me to a farmers market prices report
or to a 'seasonal retail price guide' for produce.

Just happen to still have pole beans but have no idea of how to price
them in "Septemeber."

Thanks

-Allan Balliet
Shepherdstown, WV