market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] was Dennis Avery article, now organic yields

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] was Dennis Avery article, now organic yields
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:23:45 -0400

On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm wrote:

Hi Rivka and all,

I would very much appreciate the cites re comparability of crop yields
between organic & conventional ag.

OK, here are some. I'm sure there are more out here; these are the results of a fairly brief search I did in order to post on a discussion elsewhere. Below are URL's with a brief description following each. As I copied this out from my text copy, I don't know if the URL's will come through as links; but if not, you can just copy and paste them into your browser.

http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=3547
[Ohio State University study, in which their organic tests produced 13% more corn than statewide average yield (most of the statewide average was conventionally grown) and topped the record-high state average by 4 bushels/acre.]

http://www.newfarm.org/columns/research_paul/2007/0207/fst.shtml
[this one is a New Farm article on studies being done at Rodale, which have been running since 1981; this update is February 07. Organic yields started lower, then for a long time were equivalent, then from 95 to 06 were higher than conventional.]

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/July05/organic.farm.vs.other.ssl.html
[this is a Cornell news service story on David Pimental's (Cornell professor of ecology and agriculture) review of the Rodale studies]

http://orgprints.org/9783/
This was a study of basmati rice done at Indian Agricultural Research Insititue in New Delhi, India. Main focus is which organic amendments were useful, Relevant sentences to this purpose:
<x-tad-bigger>The rice grain yield (4.0 t ha-1) obtained under combined application of four organic amendments was at par with the yield recorded under recommended dose of chemical fertilizer application. An interesting observation recorded was that there was no serious attack of any insect pest or dis-ease in organically grown crop.</x-tad-bigger>

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=5936
[from university of michigan, news release, "organic farming can feed the world";
study by UMich researches Ivette Perfecto and Catherine Badgley says yields almost equal in developed countries and production could double or triple in developing countries with organic methods]

http://crops.confex.com/crops/wc2006/techprogram/P11639.HTM
[a study in India on groundnuts; organic produced 22% higher kernel yield than cv, as well as other advantages. reported at the 18th World Congress of Soil Science, 2006, in Philadelphia PA] [groundnut in this case I believe means peanuts]