market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dennis Avery article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dennis Avery article
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:04:20 -0400

Hi Rivka and all,

I would very much appreciate the cites re comparability of crop yields between organic & conventional ag.
Thank you.

All best wishes,

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

rootsfarm AT protoscape.com <mailto:rootsfarm AT protoscape.com>

road's end farm wrote:

is also inaccurate. A number of recent studies (I have some cites if you want them) have shown that, in the relatively long term, organic methods give crop yields as high as those on conventional farms. There's often a drop in production when farms first transition to organic agriculture, but yields generally rise again as beneficial organisms come back into balance. I address it here, not specifically because Avery said it, but because it is such a common misconception.