market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dennis Avery article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dennis Avery article
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:31:50 -0400

On Sep 7, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Brigette Leach wrote:

Put aside the fact that Dennis Avery is the author, and that he insults
your every sensibility.

Do ask yourself if highly erodible lands should be farmed via any
practice. On that point, I would have to agree with what he has written.
Different soils necessitate the use of different practices and tillage
isn't a good solution on some soils. Just as not every soil is suitable
to grow every type of crop, not even organic practices are always
suitable. Preventing the movement of soils via wind and water is a
critical and fundamental aspect of sustainability.

A plan to protect highly (or even moderately) erodible lands is part of any decent organic farm plan. Certifiers should be refusing to approve plans that have a high likelihood of erosion. Otherwise the farm (and the certifier) would be in violation of 205.200, 205.203, and 205.205 of the USDA standard; as well as in violation of any reasonable meaning of the term "organic farming" before the USDA got ahold of it.

I'll try to take apart Avery again at some point when I'm not getting ready for a market the next morning. Several things in his article are, as usual, sheer nonsense.